We did some analysis on our Speed Scrabble players to find out the 80 most popular words used in games:
QI is easily the number 1 word, with AI and IN second and third. I guess most people know that trick when you get stuck with a Q without a U.
2-letter words dominate the list, taking the top 11 spots, and 66% of the top 80.
3-letter words round out the list, with the first 4-letter word, RAIN, coming in at 112th.
It’s a little surprising, but understandable given that Speed Scrabble focusses on speed.
Some users have commented on the unlikely sounding 2-letter words, doubting whether they are really words, so with the help of Wordnik, we have compiled a list of definitions of some of the more obscure words:
- qi: The fundamental life-force or energy.
- ai: See sloth.
- en: The letter n.
- aa: Lava having a rough surface.
- ae: Chiefly Scots One.
- un: One.
- er: Used to express hesitation or uncertainty.
- id: In Freudian theory, the division of the psyche that is totally unconscious.
- oi: Said to get someone’s attention.
- qat: khat
- ye: Archaic “The”.
- ad: An advertisement.
- lo: Used to attract attention or to show surprise.
- re: Music – The second tone of the diatonic scale in solfeggio.
- et: and
- jo: Scots Sweetheart; dear.
- oe: A small island.
- el: The letter l.
- za: Slang – Pizza.
- ar: The letter r.
- la: Music – The sixth tone of the diatonic scale in solfeggio.
- ti: Music – The seventh tone in the diatonic scale in solfeggio.
- li: A traditional Chinese measure of distance, today standardized at 500 meters (547 yards).
- pi: The 16th letter of the Greek alphabet.
- bi: A bisexual person.
- yo: Slang – Used as a greeting or to attract someone’s attention.
- joe: Informal – Brewed coffee.
- ain: Scots Own.
- yen: A strong desire or inclination; a yearning or craving.
- fa: Music – The fourth tone of the diatonic scale in solfeggio.
- ne: Not.
So now you know: yes, they really are words.
If you’ve not played Speed Scrabble, try it out. It’s fun, fast and challenging. And occasionally educational.