Crossword Puzzle Solver
Stuck on those last pesky crossword questions? Need some assistance with a word puzzle? Need a fast, free offline dictionary? This free software helps solve puzzles by matching words, solving anagrams and searching word definitions.
Check out a stillshot of the software in action (click on the image to close it).
- This software is designed for Microsoft Windows.
To try out the software, click the "Download" button below.
Run the downloaded software to install it on your PC.
Crossword Solver provides the following:
- Find all words matching a pattern e.g. h??rs?
- Find anagrams of a group of letters e.g. rashoe
- Find definitions matching a phrase - so you can find words relating to a word
- You can also use this as a fast, free and convenient offline dictionary.
Adding new definitions
To add a new list of words and definitions:
- Create a file where each line is in the format "word,definition".
- Click Definitions->Add and open your file.
- If you add a word list that may be of general interest, please get in touch
If you find this software useful or have a suggestion, please contact us
Maintaining and supporting Crossword Solver takes time and effort. If Crossword Solver has benefited you, please consider donating to help keep Crossword Solver afloat. Two options:
- Start solving crosswords so fast that the Earth starts spinning backwards and hence solves all the world's problems.
- If you want to donate money, please instead donate to a reputable charity, such as the Red Cross.
Not only will you blessed with an inordinate amount of karma, you will be helping support bug fixes and enhancements to the Supernifty software that you use.
This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix the problem.
You need to install a Microsoft library.
Word not found... no matter what word I enter!
Make sure a definition list has been selected. Click "Definitions" and make sure "English" is ticked.
Crossword Solver is licensed under a Creative Commons agreement. Basically this license means the software can only be redistributed in unmodified form.
If you want to use it for something else, just ask.
- Word Nerd iPhone - Crossword Puzzle Solver for the iPhone
- You may be interested in playing Online Speed Scrabble
29-apr-2011 Version 0.6
- added a number of new words
- fixed a bug with the "new version available" popup always showing
20-feb-2011 Version 0.5
- import your own custom word lists
- option to ignore spaces in search
24-oct-2009 Version 0.4
- wildcards on the anagram finder
- accept . or ? as a wildcard
07-aug-2008 Version 0.3
- automatically check for updates
24-jul-2008 Version 0.2
- All dictionary definitions now included.
- Word type e.g. noun, adverb, adjective, etc is now included in the definition.
- Don't show duplicate words in the word results
23-jul-2008 Version 0.1
- Initial release.
- Other languages